wereFedUp

It Takes Guts to Fight Obesity

Post your delicious recipes here to share with everyone else!

Views: 675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quick Avocado Boats

Looking for quick healthy snack ideas? They don't get any quicker than Quick Avocado Boats. These are fast to make, are good for you, and can be eaten right out of your hand, in their own skin - no dishes to wash!

Avocados are filling and nutritious - packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein.

You'll want a perfectly ripe avocado for this healthy snack idea. The best way to tell if an avocado is ripe is to put it in the palm of your hand and squeeze gently. If it is hard as a stone, it's not yet ripe. If it feels soft and mushy, it's too ripe. You want an avocado that feels firm, but yields to gentle pressure. If you're still in doubt, gently peel off the stem (assuming that it is still there.) If the skin under the stem is green, the avocado is ready to eat.

I prefer to buy my avocados a bit hard and firm, and let them ripen on the counter at home. Once they are perfectly ripe, I put them in the fridge - but I make sure to use them within a day or two. Buying several avocados, at varying stages of ripeness, means that I'll always have one ready when I want one.

1 avocado

1 tsp/5 mL lime juice

salt

pepper

Cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed. Rotate the halves in opposite directions, and gently pull them apart.
Use a small spoon to remove the pit. Discard it.
Use a fork to gently mash the avocado flesh, right in its skin.
Sprinkle each half of the avocado with lime juice, salt and pepper.

That's all there is to it!

To store half of an avocado, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice, place it in an airtight container, and refrigerate. The citrus juice should keep it from discoloring. If it does discolor, scrape off the dark bits and eat the rest.

Honeyed Yogurt and Mixed Berries with Whole-Grain Waffles

As you enjoy this meal, you also enjoy antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin C from the berries; protein and calcium from the yogurt; and protein, fiber, and B vitamins from the waffles.
Yield

4 servings (serving size: 1 waffle, 1 cup fruit mixture, about 1/3 cup yogurt mixture, and 1 teaspoon wheat germ)
Ingredients

* 2 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 2 cups fresh raspberries
* 1 cup quartered small strawberries
* 1 cup fresh blackberries
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 4 frozen whole-grain waffles, toasted
* 4 teaspoons toasted wheat germ

Preparation

Drain yogurt in a fine sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth for 10 minutes; spoon into a bowl. Add honey, stirring to combine.

Combine berries, sugar, and juice; let stand 5 minutes. Place 1 waffle on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 cup fruit mixture, about 1/3 cup yogurt mixture, and 1 teaspoon wheat germ. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
377 (16% from fat)
Fat:
6.8g (sat 2.3g,mono 2.3g,poly 1.6g)
Protein:
11.5g
Carbohydrate:
71.6g
Fiber:
8.3g
Cholesterol:
43mg
Iron:
1.9mg
Sodium:
214mg
Calcium:
345mg
Granola Fruit Kabobs

(4 servings)

* 2 cups granola
* 2 medium apples -- chunked
* 2 medium bananas -- chunked
* 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
* 1 cup vanilla or fruit flavored yogurt

Place granola in shallow bowl. Toss fruit with a small amount of lemon juice to deter browning. Insert toothpicks into each piece of fruit. To serve, dip fruit in yogurt, coat all sides. Roll in granola.

This is a terrific dish to serve at morning gatherings and meetings. It serves like an appetizer, but makes for a very healthy and satisfying breakfast.
CHICKEN WITH HONEY-ORANGE SAUCE

NUTRITION PROFILE:
Low Sodium | Low Sat Fat | High Potassium | Heart Healthy

Here we combine raisins, cinnamon, honey and almonds with orange juice, zest, wine and broth to make a rich, savory pan sauce for chicken. There’s plenty of the gorgeous sauce, so be sure to serve whole-wheat egg noodles, couscous or rice on the side.

Makes 4 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

2 navel oranges
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and tenders removed
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons honey
1 3-inch cinnamon stick
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)

1. Zest and juice one orange. Remove the skin and white pith from the other orange, then halve and slice. Reserve zest and juice separately from the orange slices.
2. Combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer the remaining flour to a small bowl, add broth and whisk to combine.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add wine to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour-broth mixture, the reserved orange zest and juice, raisins, honey, cinnamon stick and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan and cook, turning the chicken once or twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F and the sauce has thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Discard the cinnamon stick. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with the reserved orange slices and almonds.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 420 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrate; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Magnesium (17% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat

TIP: Tip: To toast slivered almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.

PLEASE NOTE!!: I took this from eatingwell.com, I post it because I've made it, and I don't cook, so if I can do it, you can probably do it better. Very easy, and very yummy!
PROVOLONE & OLIVE STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS

NUTRITION PROFILE:
Low Calorie | Low Carb | Low Sat Fat | Heart Healthy | Diabetes Appropriate | Healthy Weight

This is an elegant dish. Making a pocket in the chicken breast to hold the stuffing is easy, particularly if you use a good, sharp, thin-bladed knife. Browning the chicken in a skillet before baking gives it a beautiful golden color. Finishing it in the oven ensures that it cooks evenly throughout.

Makes 4 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes

1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese, preferably aged
3 tablespoons chopped olives
Freshly ground pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
1 large egg white
1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with sides with cooking spray.
2. Combine the provolone, olives and pepper in a small bowl.
3. Lightly beat the egg white with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs and salt in a shallow dish.
4. Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of a chicken breast half, nearly through to the opposite side. Open up each breast and place one-fourth of the cheese filling in the center. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts and filling. Hold each chicken breast half together and dip in egg white, then dredge in breadcrumbs. (Discard leftovers.)
5. Heat oil over in a large nonstick skillet medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to the prepared baking sheet, browned-side up, and bake until it is no longer pink in the center or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, about 20 minutes.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 242 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrate; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 572 mg sodium; 229 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Selenium (36% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat

PLEASE NOTE!!: I took this from eatingwell.com, I prepared this at home and the house didn't burn down, so if I can do it, you can do it better.
LEMON-DILL GREEN BEANS

NUTRITION PROFILE:
Low Calorie | High Fiber | Low Sodium | Low Sat Fat | Heart Healthy | Diabetes Appropriate | Healthy Weight

This lemon and dill vinaigrette is a natural complement to green beans. It’s also great tossed with steamed asparagus or drizzled over sliced fresh tomatoes.

Makes 4 servings, about 1 cup each

ACTIVE TIME: 15 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes

1 pound green beans, trimmed
4 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add green beans, cover and cook until tender-crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Meanwhile, whisk dill, shallot, oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving to blend flavors.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 74 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 163 mg sodium; 177 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat

PLEASE NOTE!!: I got this recipe from eatingwell.com, if I think this is easy, you can probably do it with your eyes closed. Fast, easy, yummy. . . not to mention healthy.
Hollywood Thai Beef Salad
The Standard Hollywood, a celebrity flock spot with a trendy diner feel, has a lot more to offer than the burger special. International treats like this Thai beef salad with protein-rich flank steak is anything but standard. Try Thai for dinner

Serves 2
Ingredients

Marinade
* 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
* 1/2 cup honey
* 6 tablespoons fish sauce (found in Asian markets)
* 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
* 1 tablespoon cilantro
* 1 tablespoon mint leaves
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 1 Thai (or serrano) chile
* 2 1/2 cloves garlic
* 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced

Salad
* 6 oz. flank steak
* 2 cups Asian vermicelli noodles
* 1/4 diced tomato
* 2 tablespoons enoki mushrooms (found in Asian markets)
* 1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion
* 10-12 grapefruit segments
* 8 cilantro sprigs
* 4 mint sprigs

Dressing
* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
* 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
* 2 1/4 teaspoons fish sauce
* 1 Thai (or serrano) chile, seeded and minced
* 1 1/2 cloves garlic
* 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped

Preparation

For marinade
Mix marinade ingredients in a blender until combined. Pour into a bowl; add steak. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Heat grill to medium-high. Cook steak until medium rare, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Cool; slice thin. Cook noodles according to package instructions. Rinse under cold water, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

For dressing
Mix all ingredients in blender until combined.

To assemble salad Divide tomato, mushrooms, onion, grapefruit segments, noodles, cilantro and mint between 2 bowls; top with 1/4 cup dressing (or mix together, top with 1/2 cup dressing, then divide). Add steak.
Cucumber, Mango and Red Onion Salad
This recipe serves: 4

1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 mango, pitted and cut into large dice
1 red onion, sliced into thin rounds
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt to taste
3 tablespoons cilantro

1. Place the cucumber, mango and red onion in a medium bowl.
2. Season to taste with the lime juice and salt.
3. Garnish generously with cilantro leaves.

Serving Size: about 1/2 cup

Number of Servings: 4
Per Serving
Calories57 Carbohydrate14 g Fat0 g Fiber2 g Protein1 g Saturated Fat0 g Sodium5 mg
No Sugar Added Berry Smoothies

1 pint strawberries, respberries or blueberries

Crushed ice (3 or 3-and-a-half-cups)

2-and-a-half-cups LAND O' LAKES Probiotics Milk

Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Pour onto 12-ounce tumblers. Serves 5.
WE COOKED A FRUIT SALAD WITH: WATERMELONS, STRAWBERRYS, KIWI, PEACHES AND SOME VINIGAR
that hella nasty

Sharlene said:
Quick Avocado Boats

Looking for quick healthy snack ideas? They don't get any quicker than Quick Avocado Boats. These are fast to make, are good for you, and can be eaten right out of your hand, in their own skin - no dishes to wash!

Avocados are filling and nutritious - packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein.

You'll want a perfectly ripe avocado for this healthy snack idea. The best way to tell if an avocado is ripe is to put it in the palm of your hand and squeeze gently. If it is hard as a stone, it's not yet ripe. If it feels soft and mushy, it's too ripe. You want an avocado that feels firm, but yields to gentle pressure. If you're still in doubt, gently peel off the stem (assuming that it is still there.) If the skin under the stem is green, the avocado is ready to eat.

I prefer to buy my avocados a bit hard and firm, and let them ripen on the counter at home. Once they are perfectly ripe, I put them in the fridge - but I make sure to use them within a day or two. Buying several avocados, at varying stages of ripeness, means that I'll always have one ready when I want one.

1 avocado

1 tsp/5 mL lime juice

salt

pepper

Cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed. Rotate the halves in opposite directions, and gently pull them apart.
Use a small spoon to remove the pit. Discard it.
Use a fork to gently mash the avocado flesh, right in its skin.
Sprinkle each half of the avocado with lime juice, salt and pepper.

That's all there is to it!

To store half of an avocado, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice, place it in an airtight container, and refrigerate. The citrus juice should keep it from discoloring. If it does discolor, scrape off the dark bits and eat the rest.

Thanks sharlene for a good one. yummi

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Eric Keith.   Powered by

Learn More About YAAO  |  Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service