wereFedUp

It Takes Guts to Fight Obesity

There is many bill out there that can help fight obesity. but then there is bill AB 351 by salas that i can by question. What do you think?

AB 351
Existing law requires all pupils who are not otherwise
exempt to attend courses in physical education for a total period of
time of not less than 400 minutes each 10 schooldays.
This bill would authorize the governing board of a school district
to exempt any high school pupil from courses in physical education
if the pupil participates in California Cadet Corps, cheer team or
dance team, color guard or drill team, Junior Reserve Officer
Training Corps, or marching band as part of the regular course
of study or regular school-sponsored extracurricular
activities. The bill would specify minimum standards for the
physical education substitute courses, require that a certificated
employee teach the course of study or sponsor the activity, and
make other technical and clarifying changes.

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so students involved in "California Cadet Corps, cheer team or dance team, color guard or drill team, Junior Reserve Officer
Training Corps, or marching band" are exempt from this? Why? Should not everyone be required to learn specific physical activity techniques that will help them in the long run? I just think that more focus should be on better and more physical education. not just..."go run a lap."
I l;earn so much from u! I am very proud of the person that u are becoming
This bill would undermine quality physical education by lessoning what is to be learned. Every student needs quality physical education. These other activities do not teach the skills and knowledge to be physically active the rest of their lives. We need to advocate for quality physical education for every student and improve the physical education classes and facilities. There is a difference between quality physical education where students learn a variety of skills and knowledge to be physically active and physical activity like drill, cheer, JROTC and band where the emphasis is other than the skills and knowledge of living a healthy life. How many drill, cheer, band or JROTC students, drill, cheer, march the rest of their lives as physical activity? Very few.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Eric Keith.   Powered by

Learn More About YAAO  |  Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service